What Happens During the Test?
You will be asked to breathe in and blow out a single breath sample into a collection device. Following, you will be given a single-dose sugar solution to drink. Breath samples will then be collected regularly every 30 minutes over the course of 3 hours.
You may experience certain gut symptoms during and immediately after your test such as bloating and flatulence. Side effects are not expected. When the test has been completed you can resume your normal diet, medications and activities.
Breath Test Preparation
To ensure the most accurate results, you must follow these instructions before each test.
2 WEEKS before your test:
- No Oral and/or IV Antibiotics. Antibiotic skin creams, eye and ear drops are OK.
- No Colonoscopy or Barium Meal Enema Procedures. Gastroscopy procedure is OK.
1 FULL DAY before your test:
- Restrict your intake of milk and dairy products. You can still have lactose-free milk, soy, rice, almond and coconut milk.
- Restrict canned and dried fruit, fruit juices, soft drinks and honey.
- Restrict high-fibre foods (e.g. wholegrain/wholemeal/high-fibre varieties of grain based foods like bread and pasta; beans and corn).
- Stop taking fibre supplements and laxatives.
Click here for Sample meal plan
- We recommend a meal containing rice and meat the evening before your test (or rice and vegetables for vegetarians).
- Limit your alcohol intake to one standard drink.
- All other foods and medications can be eaten as normal.
Begin your fast the night before your test
- Fast for 12 hrs (so for a 9am test begin your fast from 9pm the night before).
- Young children may fast for 10 hrs instead.
- You may drink plain water in the lead-up to, and during, your test.
On the morning of your test:
- Continue your fast.
- Take your normal medications with plain water.
- Stop smoking.
Testing in Clinic
- Tests start at 9am. Please arrive on time and announce yourself to clinic staff on arrival.
- The waiting room is shared with pathology patients. Refrain from bringing a visitor as seating is limited to patients only (except for parents and carers).
- For further information on Gastrolab clinics (e.g. car parking and public transport options) call Gastrolab on 1300 624 771 or email email@example.com.
- CANCELLATION POLICY – Please provide at least 24 hrs notice for cancellations. No-shows will incur a cancellation fee equivalent to the cost of the test.
Mail-Order Test Kit Video
The video below outlines how to prepare and self-administer a hydrogen/methane mail-order kit.
Please refer to the instruction pamphlet inside your mail-order kit for further guidance.